Tuesday, January 19, 2010


I began my writing career in the fourth grade in a creative writing class. The nun was very supportive as I began writing a story about terminating termites. The fascination with the written word continued and evolved into a love for comic books. Stan Lee and Bob Kane hooked me. On my south side block full of cop and city worker kids, in between playing war and baseball, a friend and I managed to create our own comic books. Ultra-violent with characters closely resembling the buffed up action stars of the 80s, we developed and refined our imaginations. That era ended with everyone moving out of the old neighborhood. I dabbled with comic books here and there but ultimately moved on to melodramatic ramblings of teenage life. No stories, just essays about life in general. I made it to college and wrote mostly papers, with a yearning to write something more creative.


Then one night in 2004 I went to bed like most humans do. I tossed and turned. Then they popped into my head. The Tannenbaum Tailors. A fantasy action thriller set inside a Christmas tree, that combined everything I loved about the movies, books, and life in general. I wouldn't actually write the story for another three years. Finally, I sat in a cushy recliner in December 2007 and committed the Tailors to my hard drive. I have since wrote a sequel and am working on a second. With revision a constant battle and my resolve resolute, I commit myself to become published and listed.

6 comments:

  1. Hooray for resolute resolve! Then maybe go back and do a melodramatic comic book of the ramblings of teenage life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to know what you were dreaming about that sparked such a wild idea. It's funny that our minds seem more creative while we're sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. Maybe the Tailors could be a graphic novel/comic book?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to see the Terminating Termites as insect superheroes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Tailors scream graphic novel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of a graphic novel!

    ReplyDelete