Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Stick it

When I get stuck it is not a matter of not knowing where to go next in the plot. I get stuck on details and solving potential plot hole issues and pacing. I honestly binge write so when I do find myself mulling over details and can't find a way out of it, the momentum of my writing suffers. Just recently I began work on my third novel and made it about 24 pages in but in the midst of those 24 pages was a timing issue.

My novels tend to use time as a tension builder, the marked crescendo of rising action, so when I had trouble with the time frame I stopped writing until I figured it out. Alas, I had to sacrifice a time period for my first chapter I envisioned for months beforehand. Yet in the process of embarking on this literary quest I learned that getting stuck in the mud can be gratifying if what comes out of it is a golden nugget. (Nugget is a funny word)

Every experience with writing seems worthwhile. Every obstacle when met with a real-time persistence can be overcome. Since I could remember, the problem-solving element of writing invokes the sharpest critical thinking and truly immerses the author in their work. I know it does for me. So here is to getting stuck.

4 comments:

  1. Way to be positive! The hard work of getting unstuck evokes the sharpest critical thinking. I like it.

    I am very curious to know what kind of timing issue you ended up sacrificing for the first chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a very positive attitude about getting stuck! You stopped writing until you "figured it out." BUT HOW? If you weren't writing through it, what helped your thoughts work through it? We need tips, man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true, persistence is the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love your attitude toward writer's block, but its easier to take that approach when you can turn around and write 24 pages immediately after you've figured things out.

    ReplyDelete